MX problem: loopback

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 28 21:53:17 UTC 2000

In article <8ecpms$jo4$1 at nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE>,
Rainer Collet <rain_c1 at web.de> wrote:
>554 MX list fo xxx.com. points back to baby.xxx.com
>553 xxx.xom. config error: mail loops back to me (MX problem?)
>554 <user at xxx.com>... Local configuration error
>
>how can I solve this problem?

This is a sendmail configuration problem, not a DNS problem (the error
message was written by someone who assumed that administrators know how to
configure sendmail, so an inconsistency was probably a problem with the
DNS, but this assumption is almost always wrong).

The solution is in the FAQ at www.sendmail.org.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA