Beginner's question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 26 00:56:40 UTC 2000

The purpose of an MX record is to publish the name of a server which will
accept mail for a given domain name. If you want a server to forward mail
somewhere *other* than where the MX record(s) tell(s) it to, then this is no
longer a DNS issue; you have to somehow configure/program that logic into the
mail server. In the case of sendmail,  you could probably use a mailertable to
override the normal MX-record processing, or just add the domain to Cw and then
use MAIL_HUB or LUSER_RELAY to selectively forward only those addresses which
don't exist on MX2.yyy.org as aliases and/or local users ("local users" doesn't
just mean flesh-and-blood users, of course, it also includes mail accounts like
"root" or other system accounts).

In your particular situation, the "TryNullMXList" option, which I've seen in
the documentation but never used, would probably be the _simplest_ way to make
things work, but it is "disrecommended", and I believe would affect *all* mail
routing by MX2.yyy.org's sendmail, not just mail for the yyy.org domain.
Something more selective would probably serve you better.

As with any non-MX-based mail routing architecture, beware of mail loops.

- Kevin