Receiving BIND requests on server that is no longer a DNS server. ..

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 25 15:44:04 UTC 2000

In article <C355AAFB82C4D011A2DC00805FEAC7C406363D5D at mpisex01.mops.wl.com>,
Blackman, Jonathan <Jon.Blackman at wl.com> wrote:
>We retired a DNS server a couple of years ago and now I have noticed that
>there are still several DNS servers trying to query the old address.  Is
>there a way to find out where I still have the old address: 204.114.255.1
>defined.  We changed all of our NS record and NIC information way back.  So,
>I can't imagine where they are getting this from.

Dump your nameserver's cache (ndc dumpdb) and look for A records pointing
to that address and NS records pointing to those names.

This may not find them, since it's possible that the errant records are in
some other site's cache but not yours.  In that case, what you'll need to
do is contact the administrators of the DNS servers that are sending those
queries and ask *them* to dump their caches.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA