$INCLUDE

Stephens, Bill Bill.Stephens at fritolay.com
Mon Apr 24 18:49:34 UTC 2000

	This might not be too practical, it sounds like I would have to
create a CNAME for each host (currently over 10,000 records in the
production zone).  I did run into this though, according to the DNS & Bind
book:

	15.1.1 CNAMEs Attached to Interior Nodes

	If you've ever renamed your zone
	because of a company re-org, you may have considered creating a
single
	CNAME record that pointed from the zone's old domain name to the new

	domain name.  For instance, if the fx.movie.edu zone were renamed to

	magic.movie.edu, we'd be tempted to create a single CNAME record to
map
	all the old names to the new names:

	fx.movie.edu.  IN CNAME magic.movie.edu.

	With this in place, you'd expect
	a lookup of empire.fx.movie.edu to result in a lookup of
	empire.magic.movie.edu.  Unfortunately, this doesn't work - you
can't have
	a CNAME record attached to an interior node like fx.movie.edu if it
owns
	other records.  Remember that fx.movie.edu has an SOA record and NS
	records, so attaching a CNAME record to it violates the rule that a
domain
	name be either an alias or a canonical name, not both.  So, instead
of a
	single CNAME record to rename a complete zone, you'll have to do it
the
	old-fashioned way - a CNAME record for each individual host within
the
	zone:

	empire.fx.movie.edu.  IN CNAME empire.magic.movie.edu.
	bladerunner.fx.movie.edu.  IN CNAME bladerunner.magic.movie.edu.

	If the subdomain isn't delegated, and consequently doesn't have an
SOA
	record and NS records attached, you can create an alias for
fx.movie.edu,
	but it will apply only to the domain name fx.movie.edu, and not to
domain
	names in fx.movie.edu.

	With that in mind, as long as I didn't create an SOA record for
"dyn.bubba.pvt" and
	delegate it, could I create the following CNAME record in the
"dyn.bubba.pvt" zone and expect
	us381s04.dyn.bubba.pvt to also resolve to us381s04.bubba.pvt?

	bubba.pvt. IN CNAME dyn.bubba.pvt.

	Thanks,

	Bill Stephens

	Joseph S D Yao <jsdy at cospo.osis.gov>