Someone please help me test my dns with nslookup

Tony Earnshaw tonye at ilion.nl
Mon Apr 24 12:37:16 UTC 2000

Bind User wrote:

> see if namechest.com  comes back with an response.

> I really appericate soeone helping out. And if anyone could suggest where I
> could look in 8.2.2P5 to correct this proble, I have never put any kind of blockout
> in my bind config, it's mainly a virgin config anyways.

I use dig, not nslookup.

'dig -x 166.82.184.38' gets a blank response and refers to ns.vnet.net.
'dig namechest.com ns' returns as nameservers for this domain
NS.VNET.NET and N2S.VNET.NET.

'dig @NS.VNET.NET -x 166.82.184.38' gets a blank reply.
'dig @NS2.VNET.NET -x 166.82.184.38' gets a blank reply.
'dig @NS2.VNET.NET namechest.com soa' gets a blank reply.

Conclusion: you either have a shit ISP who hasn't registered your domain
or nameserver properly, or you haven't bothered to inform your o.k. ISP
about the necessary nameserver and domain records to make upstream
services work. His nameservers don't know enough about your domain.

I tried to find out what operating systems VNET was basing its services
on: www.vnet.net is running on Microsoft-IIS/4.0, whilst smtp.vnet.net
is running Sendmail 8.9.1. The one is Windows NT 4 and the other is
probably (though not necessarily) Unix. I'm always suspicious of the
quality of services offered by ISPs basing these on NT, but even some
Unix-based ISPs are slipping down the drain these days.

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw
Randstad 2157