The Lost Domain - fidalgo.net

Greg McCann gregm at well.com
Sun Apr 23 00:37:18 UTC 2000

I occasionally have trouble resolving one external domain or another.  Right
now, my DNS server (bind 8.2.2) is unable to resolve "fidalgo.net".  However if
I use my ISP's DNS server, they are able to find it.  (fidalgo.net is an
external domain to me, and is completely unrelated to either my domain or my
ISP's domain)

Here's what I found out so far...

Nameservers for fidalgo.net are ns1.fidalgo.net (206.129.156.2) and
ns2.fidalgo.net (206.191.182.5).  ns2.fidalgo.net seems to be dead (unpingable)
at the moment.  ns1.fidalgo.net appears to be ok.

However when I "set type=NS" it looks like my nameserver thinks that
ns2.fidalgo.net is authoritative for fidalgo.net.  If I "set type=MX" and try to
lookup fidalgo.net, I get "can't find fidalgo.net - Non-existent host/domain".
Apparently my nameserver only knows about the now-dead ns2.fidalgo.net and can't
figure out that it should be trying to get information from ns1.fidalgo.net
instead.

The root of the problem seems to be at their end, but how can I fix or work
around this problem on my end?

Greg

--

Gregory McCann

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."  Saint Philo of
Alexandria