starting bind as a non-root user with ndc

Jeremy Lunn jeremyl at vicnet.net.au
Sat Apr 22 01:12:00 UTC 2000

Hi,

Is it possiable to start bind as non-root user with ndc?

In debian I modified my /etc/init.d/bind file to start named as user
named and group named.  But when I do restart with that file it goes
back to being root again.  That file runs "/usr/sbin/ndc restart".  So
is it possiable to get ndc to start bind as non-root?  Would it be just
as effective to change the /etc/init.d/bind file to do it's stop then
start?  Since it starts just /usr/sbin/bind with start-stop-daemon.

Thanks,

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia