Bind 4 question.. Disabling World lookups..

Eric McDonald emcdonald at pdc.org
Thu Apr 20 20:25:02 UTC 2000

Hi There:

I have a server which is both an MX and a primary NS for our domain.  What
I'd like to do is disable named from resolving queries except for the local
domain, but I'd still like the Mail software to be able to resolve MX
queries for outgoing mail.

I tried removing the cache/./db.cache entry in named.boot, and then pointing
the local resolv.conf file back to a server which can do world lookups for
MX queries on the local machine.

It would seem, however, that if named doesn't have a cache entry in
named.boot it uses the local resolv.conf file to query the servers listed
and provides information anyways.

Any way to modify the source code for named so that it doesn't query the
servers in the local /etc/resolv.conf file on domains it's not responsible
for?

Thanks in advance,
Eric McDonald

Eric McDonald                                   )  (   590 Lipoa Pkwy
Systems Administrator     _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _(.--.)  Kihei, HI 96753
Pacific Disaster Center {{ { { { { { { { { { { ( '_')  (808) 891-0525