Finding MX Records

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 20 21:33:46 UTC 2000

You don't have to have an MX record to receive mail. Read RFC 974; if there's
no MX record, look for an A record and deliver to that instead.

What you're seeing in the "nslookup" output is an SOA record being returned in
the Authority section of the nameserver's response; a perfectly valid response
when there is no data which matches the query (see RFC 2308 for details).

- Kevin