Underscores again

Barr Hibbs rbhibbs at ultraDNS.com
Thu Apr 20 16:19:05 UTC 2000

...the use of underscores, non-alphanumeric characters, and non-printable
characters is usually discouraged for several practical reasons:
1.  not all name servers and resolvers have been updated to support names as
defined in RFC2181;
2.  many popular, widely-deployed programs such as sendmail, FTP, and Telnet
(to name a few) DO support binary names in their newer versions, but again,
not all versions deployed are completely up-to-date;
3.  individual applications programs may not be compliant with RFC2181, and
may introduce (sometimes unintentionally) local restrictions on names.

...so, the best advice is to carefully experiment with your local
applications and services, and then expand to remote ones, using names that
contain characters other than 'A'-'Z,' '0'-'9,' and the hyphen ("-")
character.  When you understand where, if any, a problem with names exists,
you can plan a reasonable strategy for upgrading applications and services.

--Barr