Many SOA's, one zone ?

Jocelyn jocelyn at iNsu.com
Wed Apr 19 21:26:58 UTC 2000

"Mark E. Drummond" wrote:

> Hi all. I am looking for some verification. Let's say I have 2 domains
> under my control, a.com and b.com. I want to set up DNS so that the 2
> domains are identical, except for the domainname of course. That is,
> foo.a.com and foo.b.com should be the same machine, with the same IP
> address. Can I do this just by using 2 zone files, with appropriate SOA
> records, the simply INCLUDE a common third file containing _unqualified_
> hostnames? The logic seems right to me but I am certaining not a DNS
> wizard.

Hi!

When i have two or more identical zones, i make one zone file
like this..

(/var/named/master/identical

$TTL 86400
@	IN	SOA	nsserver.domain.com. hostmaster.domain.com. (
			bla bla
			)

	IN	NS	nsserver.domain.com.

www	IN	A	100.100.100.100
ftp	IN	CNAME	www

and in the named.conf i make the two zones pointing on the same
file

zone "a.com" in {
	type master;
	file "master/identical";
};

zone "b.com" in {
	type master;
	file "master/identical";
};

Do you have the results you whant with this?

--
Jocelyn Lecours
Gnu/Linux System Administrator / hostMaster