Q regarding Secondary DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 19 20:50:38 UTC 2000

Eric Davis wrote:

> This is kind of off subject of the previos post and answer, but it is
> a question regarding secondary DNS setup.
>
> How do you properly setup a DNS server running 8.2.2 patchlevel 5 to
> pull DNS information from a version 4 name server??? The docs that
> came with tell me how to setup a primary but not enough about how to
> do  a secondary.  Thank you very much for any help.

In your /etc/named.conf:

zone "<zone name>" {
    type slave;
    file "<file name>";
    masters {
            <address of master>;
            <optionally, address of another slave, for redundancy>;
            <another slave, if you want>;
            <et cetera>;
    };
};

If you're more comfortable with the BIND 4 (named.boot) syntax, you
could always create the boot file with that syntax and use the
named-bootconf.pl script to convert it into BIND 8 format.

Oh, and the docs that come with BIND 8 most definitely *do* explain how
to define a slave. Check out doc/html/zone.html.

- Kevin