Opinions on QIP?

Tim Maestas tmaestas at idc.dhs.org
Wed Apr 19 03:56:38 UTC 2000

I support a ~300,000 device network currently on QIP 4.0.  In mid-May, we
are upgrading to QIP 5.0.  Currently, we have 1 database and 13 remote
DNS/DHCP servers running Solaris 2.6 and QIP 4.

So far I am pretty happy with QIP.  We haven't had any major problems
since I've been there, other than an indexing problem with the database.
Since it affected the database only, there was no impact to running DNS
and DHCP services.  Basically additions of new objects into the database
were taking 2 and a half minutes to complete.  Lucent's support on this
issue was great.  They had people on the phone with us throughout the
night until the problem was identified an corrected.

As a rule of thumb, since the data in QIP is stored in a Sybase or Oracle
database, it's good if you have a DBA who can assist you with purely
database related tasks.  Lucent will provide this support, but it always
helps to have your own person on site and readily available.

Overall?  I'm happy with QIP.  It integrates with pure BIND servers fine
(we're currently not running the BIND distributed with QIP 4), the GUI is
pretty intuitive, and the DHCP config files generated by the database are
an almost exact match of what a corresponding ISC DHCPd conf file would
look like.  It hasn't broken any standards or added a lot of proprietary
stuff to the workings of BIND or DHCP, and that's not a thing a lot of
large companys can claim of their products.

My collegue may have more to add if he ever reaches this email....;)

If you have any specific questions or concerns please feel free to mail me
off-list.

-Tim Maestas