DNS running on a IP alias doesn't work!! Please help!

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 17 18:02:24 UTC 2000

In article <38FB3A6B.BD1B39C at gmx.ch>, Didi  <emailtodidi at gmx.ch> wrote:
>So here my questions:
>How can I run a DNS-Server on a alias defined IP-Adress? Has somebody
>experience with DNS running on a alias defined IP-Adress? Thanks in
>advance!!

What version of BIND are you running?  This was a problem in BIND 4.8, but
BIND 4.9 is supposed to do the right thing automatically.

Make sure the alias IP address is configured before you start named.  BIND
4 only works right for the IP addresses that were configured when named was
started, and BIND 8 checks every hour to see if IP addresses have changed.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA