CNAME and MX

glen herrmannsfeldt gah at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Apr 17 03:43:40 UTC 2000

Jeremy Lunn <jeremyl at vicnet.net.au> writes:

>First of all, why are you supposed to have only one A record for each IP
>address?  Is that actually stated by the RFC?

I don't think this is true.  It is often easier to manage if you
use CNAMEs for all but one.

>And say I make a CNAME mail.mydomain pointing to serv100.mydomain can I
>use mail.mydomain as the MX or do I have to use the A record
>serv100.mydomain?

Technically, you could use CNAME for the first (lowest preference number)
MX.  If you used CNAME for any other preference, when that mailer
tried to forward the mail it would not recognize 'self' to remove itself
from the CNAME list.  Newer named don't even allow that, though.

-- glen