winnt port event log messages

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Apr 17 12:51:40 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> Subject: winnt port event log messages

> I've been using a commercial port of BIND 8 for NT for a while now,
> primarily because I didn't realize that the standard BIND distribution
> included a port for winnt.

> So I'm thrilled to find the port and have taken my first foray into
> Visual C++. Compiling the release version wasn't difficult, and it
> seems to be running well. But there are several event log messages that
> I'd like to quell fears about before putting it into production:
>
> 1) ctl_server: socket: Unknown error
> 2) unix control "%DESTRUN%/ndc" socket failed: Unknown error
> 3) directory C:/winnt/system32/dns/etc is world-writable

> #3 is a bit odd because the perms are Full Access for Administrators
> and System accounts. No other ACLS are set. (so it's definitely not
> _world_ writeable.) Any recommendations on the most restrictive set of
> permissions I should be setting for this (and the bin) directory?

I get the exact same error messages, and BIND still runs. It used to crash
once in a while when I ran secondary zones with many primaries, but now
that I have a maximum of two masters for any slave zone, BIND runs quite
beautifully.

As for the permissions, I have Full Control for Administrators and for
SYSTEM (which BIND runs as), just like you do; IMO this seems very
reasonable.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.