HP gethostbyaddr errors

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Apr 17 07:38:08 UTC 2000

	If the PTR points to a name that does not have corresponding A
	record the library routine assumes you are attempting to reverse
	spoof the server.

	Anyone who controls the reverse DNS for their address space can
	say there machine (via reverse lookup) has any given name.  It
	is only by performing a forward lookup on the name and checking
	that the address is listed is there some level of trust in the
	answer.

	I could simple arrange for my PTR records to say that all my machines
	were "sytec.co.nz".  Applications / libraries that just trust the
	PTR record would think I was "sytec.co.nz" if I connect to them.
	Those that perform the consistancy check would log the mismatch
	and treat me as unnamed or, if truly paranoid, someone with hostile
	intent.

	Depending upon the vendor, this consistancy check is built into
	the application or into the C library.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com