CName Terminology Question

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 14 14:58:35 UTC 2000

In article <38F677E8.38EF9EC6 at tmca.com.au>,
Stanley Liu  <stanley.liu at tmca.com.au> wrote:
>After reading Barry' reply (thanks Barry), I was still not quite convinced why we
>have the CNAME construct - if we can do the same using A records, why
>bother to have
>CNAMEs since they have so many restrictions.

This allows you to alias www.yourdomain.com to www.yourhostingcompany.net.
If the hosting company changes the address of their server, you don't have
to update your domain.

Without CNAMEs, they would have to get *all* of their customers to update
their domains when they change the address of the server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA