Can't resolve mx for cder.fda.gov

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Apr 13 23:01:09 UTC 2000

	The server octest.fda.gov has a old copy of the fda.gov zone
	which has a old delgation for cder.fda.gov.  It looks like
	this copy of the zone has expired on the server as it is handing
	out non-authatative answers for the fda.gov zone.
	Ns1 and ns2 have serials 2000032201, octest has 2000021702.  The
	expiry timer started out at 5w6d16h so it is likely given those
	serials to have triggered.

	Also having all the server for cder.fda.gov and fda.gov within the
	same class B does not lead me to believe that there is effective
	redundancy in the servering of these zones.  i.e. there is likely
	to be a single point of failure that makes all the  nameservers
	unreachable.

	Your MTA should be treating the inability to get a answer to a MX
	query as a soft error.  If it is not then you need to get it fixed.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com