converting 4.9.4-P1 to 8.2.2-P5

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 13 20:53:53 UTC 2000

David Stern wrote:

> We have a perfectly good BIND 4.9.4-P1 running on a solaris machine.
> But to keep up with the times, I built and installed BIND 8.2.2-P5
> on a newer Solaris box. I then ran the conversion utility and everything
> seems to work for the most part altho it complains about things that
> the 4.9 version is quite happy with
>
> eg a cname followed by the same
> cname pointing to a RR seems to get it rather pissed off.
>
> Also, running in debug I get things like
> Zone "acme.com" (file named.acme): No default TTL set, using SOA
> minimum instead
>
> The FAQ says something about putting a directive   $TTL 1234567
> Where specifically does that do (named.conf, named.acme?)

Put it at the top of each master file. Don't just pick a random number
either; this controls the default TTL for each record in the zone. If you
used 1234567, for example, it might take more than 2 weeks for a change to
propagate to all caching servers.

> Also,   named.acme: WARNING SOA expire value is less than 7 days
> (432000)

Why would you want to expire a zone in less than 7 days?

> I realize these are just warnings but I'd like to clean as much up as I
> can. Are there other gotchas in the conversion? We're primary for
> several other zones.

If you have any names with underscores in them, BIND 8 will complain
bitterly about them. But you can shut it up with the check-names option if
you wish.

- Kevin