Delagation

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Thu Apr 13 03:47:36 UTC 2000

> > > I was suppose to have had a /27 subdelagated to my nameservers to do
> > > reverse. I was told to put 192-224.48.245.209.in-addr.arpa in my
> > > named.conf for the zone. This doesn't jive with the rfc. Has anyone seen
> > > it work like this? Thanks for the time.
> > >
> > > andy
> >
> > 	See RFC 2317 Classless IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation.
>
> I did as implied above. I really asking I suppose if that really was the
> only way. thanks.
>

> andy

	There are only two ways to do it.

	1. delegete every individual reverse record in the range.
	2. use CNAMES to point into some other zone.

	There are a number of different conventions for how to name the
	other zone.

	e.g.
	    within in-addr.arpa:
		first.x.y.z.in-addr.arpa	 (1)
		first/bits.x.y.z.in-addr.arpa    (2)
		first-last.x.y.z.in-addr.arpa
		first-mask.x.y.z.in-addr.arpa

	    outside of in-addr.arpa:
		in-addr.arpa.forward.zone
		in-addr.forward.zone
		arpa.forward.zone
		forward.zone

	(1) CNAMES for all but first address in range.
	(2) problematic with certain resolvers

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com