Resolving by requester address?

Carl carl_ivar at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 11 22:59:29 UTC 2000

I am familiar with the structure of public/private DNS servers
(split-brain or split-horizon) to cope with DNS and NAT.

I've got a situation where we've got DNS entries that need to be
resolved internally as a private address but on the Internet as their
NAT'd public address.

I know that we should be able to set up a public and private DNS server,
but I was wondering if there is any DNS software out there that can do
it all on one box.

Basically, I'd like a DNS server that will resolve a name based on the
IP of the requestor.  So if someone wants to resolve www.webserver.com,
it will return 192.168.1.10 (private) if the requesting machine is on
the network 192.168.1.x.  But if the requesting IP is anything else, it
will return a different, legal address.

Is there anything out there that can do this?  I've looked but can't
seem to find anything.

Thank you very much!

Carl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/