Primary DNS failover

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Tue Apr 11 20:27:32 UTC 2000

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 05:18:34PM -0800, Michael Voight wrote:
> > Microsoft uses multimaster. (I think that's the name)
> > Obviously, not being standards based, you can't mix it with a UNIX
> > primary for the same domain.
>
> Over the last month, this has been mentioned numerous times by two
> people, with no explanation of what it is.  Michael, what is this
> "multimaster" capability?  What does it provide over and above the BIND
> capability of multiple equivalent name servers that are "failed over"
> to automatically when any are down?

I don't know.. I am not the MS expert.
Personally, I haven't sent an email on this subject in a least a month.

I think that DNS redundancy is more important now due to DHCP and DDNS.
I  have no clue about how MS handles redundancy only that they have a
method which is something Johnny has brought up to our DNS/DHCP
developer. You were asking how this could be done.. Well that is the
issue. How can we have DNS have the redunancy that DHCP does.

Michael