Primary DNS failover

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Apr 11 20:37:50 UTC 2000

I've heard that Microsoft's DNS implementation allows dynamic updates to
be received for a given zone by multiple servers, hence "multimaster".
Then the changes are replicated between masters, using presumably some
sort of convention (hopefully configurable) for dealing with the
inevitable replication conflicts.

I think that with a little scripting and/or other enhancements, BIND could
theoretically be made to act in a somewhat similar fashion: under normal
circumstances a slave will forward dynamic updates to the master
transparently to the clients; if the master fails, the slave could detect
this, reconfigure itself as the master and accept updates itself; then
when the master comes back up, it would initially come back as a slave to
the zone, until it was up to date on all of the changes, at which time the
master/slave roles would reverse and things would be back to normal. Any
volunteers to write this?

Note that "multimaster" DNS, as Microsoft implements it, or along the
lines I just described for a BIND implementation, would not require any
changes to the base DNS protocol itself. It would, however, be nice if
there was an open standard so that different products could all
interoperate in the same multimaster framework.

- Kevin