sysquery: findns error (NXDOMAIN)

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Apr 11 18:08:53 UTC 2000

    >>  Your name server found NS records which pointed at ns0.abc.com
    >> and ns1.abc.com, but when it looked up these names, your server
    >> found that they didn't exist. [The lookups got NXDOMAIN errors
    >> - "no such host/domain" - returned.] This error has nothing to
    >> do with "duplicate nameservers". The duplicate log messages can
    >> be explained by your name server making more than one lookup
    >> for these name. I don't understand how you arrived at the
    >> conclusion that a "duplicate nameserver" was the cause of this
    >> problem, or could even be a problem. A duplicate nameserver (ie
    >> slave/secondary) is fundamental to the operation of DNS by
    >> avoiding a single point of failure.

    Nehali> ok, I meant that at one point, I had two nameservers
    Nehali> claiming to be *primary* for the same domain. Could that
    Nehali> have cause this error message?

No. I thought the explanation above was clear enough. Though I suppose
if the bogus master server is still around and it's telling lies, it
could be contributing to the problem. This goes back to my original
point. Some name server somewhere is telling the world that name
service for some zone(s) can be found at ns1.abc.com and ns0.abc.com
even though these names don't exist. Your name server has been
unfortunate enough to have queried that lying nameserver(s) about
those zone(s).

If you'd given us the actual zone names and NS records, someone could
perhaps have analysed the problem. However since you chose to keep
that information to yourself - WHY? - there's not much anyone else can
do at this time except speculate and talk in generalities about
possible causes. Please note there is NEVER an excuse for hiding the
actual domain names, NS records and IP addresses, etc when posting
questions to this list about these sorts of problems. The actual names
and addresses make a difference, so why go to the trouble of
concealing them? Who benefits from hiding that information? Certainly
not you or anyone on the list that tries to answer your question....

    Nehali> Also, I have no reference
    Nehali> of NS records which points to ns1.abc.com and ns0.abc.com
    Nehali> in my nameserver configuration.

Fine. So that must mean some other name server(s) mistakenly think
that these two non-existent name servers serve some zone or
other. Dump your name server's cache and look for the NS records which
point at these two name servers. This'll tell you which zone(s) are
advertising the bogus NS records. Maybe you forgot to get the NS
records in the parent zone - .com? - changed when you moved the name
servers?