The nameserver that would not go away...

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 11 15:50:35 UTC 2000

In article <MNxI4.332$ov4.1116 at news.dbn.net>,
Ray Cormier <ray_cormier at no_spam_for_me_please_yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>thanks in advance for any advice. I am relatively new at DNS, running
>velocityip.com on linux redhat with bind 8.2.1-7.
>
>I am using several references and I am pretty sure I am not far off base
>here but I am getting a few pecular occurances. Take this for instance, I
>originally registered the domain and made a dns change to point to my local
>nameserver(ibyte.velocityip.com) and my ISP's 2nd(ns2.pnix.net) I never
>arranged authority to have them provide secondary service so a few days
>later I registered ns1 and ns2 from granitecanyon.com to provide the
>secondary services.  Now all is well in looking at my domain registar's
>entries for my dns but when I use nslookup I get the same old server from my
>isp(ns2.pnix.net).

The change was made in Abacus America's WHOIS database on April 6, but for
some reason it hasn't propagated to the .COM servers yet.  Check with your
registrar to find out what's wrong.

tools:~#988% dig velocityip.com ns @a.root-servers.net

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> velocityip.com ns @a.root-servers.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	velocityip.com, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
velocityip.com.		2D IN NS	NS2.PNIX.NET.
velocityip.com.		2D IN NS	IBYTE.velocityip.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA