Regarding bind / HP-UX

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Apr 10 23:52:23 UTC 2000

Aboo VADAKKUMURI VALAPPIL wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Could anybody help me with the following problem.
>
> I am creating a subdomain inside a domain. The parent domain is
> mail.lhr.syd.com, the subdomain I am creating is
> maildom.mail.lhr.syd.com. I want this domain to be deligated to a
> different name server.
>
> I set up the name server for the subdomain (maildom.mail.lhr.syd.com)
> succusfully in a different host. And the queries in this particular
> domain is working fine.
>
> I got the following entries for the parent domain zone file.
>
> maildom                     IN NS  mailserver.mail.lhr.syd.com.
> mailserver                  IN A   IPADDRESS for the mailserver

Just to clarify: those records are in the mail.lhr.syd.com zone file,
right? The NS record is a valid delegation, as long as
"mailserver.mail.lhr.syd.com" is actually the authoritative server for
the "maildom.mail.lhr.syd.com" zone. (And as long as the IP address is
correct, of course :-)

> The problem is that when I query for a record  of sub domain in the
> parant domain server. It says domain not found.

What query, exactly, are you making? Many if not most lookup tools
assume an A record lookup if no type is explicitly given. Unless you
have an explicit A record for maildom.mail.lhr.syd.com in the zone
itself, then an A record query for that name will rightfully return
"domain not found". What happens if you do, say, an NS or an SOA query?
What does the parent master return for those queries?

- Kevin