What's the difference between caching and non caching?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 10 21:40:47 UTC 2000

In article <8ct2v5$9l0$1 at news.rocsoft.net>,
Bruce D. Meyer <chipsumm at rocsoft.net> wrote:
>How do I know if I have set my system up to be caching or non caching?

If you don't have "recursion no" in the options, then it's a caching
nameserver.

>Why would I not want to or want to use one or the other?

If it's intended to be used by workstations as their nameserver, it has to
be caching.

If its intended use is to be an authoriative server for the domains it
hosts, but no one points to it in their resolver configurations, then you
should make it non-caching.  That will avoid wasting lots of memory for the
cache.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA