Slaves, Secondary, Primary, Master Autoritative?

Bruce D. Meyer chipsumm at rocsoft.net
Mon Apr 10 17:57:18 UTC 2000

Help.

I think I am confused, but am not certain. (Dang, that's confused)

What makes a name server authoritative?

Is a slave the same as a secondary server?

Is a Master the same as a Primary server?

Can a Slave or Secondary be authoritative?

Is putting your two names servers in Internic as your primary and secondary
cause them to both be authoritative?

I have this setup:

ns.rocsoft.net as primary
www2.rocsoft.net as secondary.

www2 get's it's zone files via zone transfer each time serial numbers are
updated.  Doesn't that mean that www2 is a salve or secondary server?

For some odd reason, when I let www2 run (It is off right now) ALL my dns
queries seem to be answered by that machine, even though ns.rocsoft.net is
my primary (Or so I thought) server.

This one is so perplexing to me, I would be very appreciative of an email,
as I fear I am hosing our network due to me possibly misunderstanding this
setup. However, posting here will certainly be read.

Thanks.

Bruce Meyer