DNS Round Robin

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 10 17:13:20 UTC 2000

In article <010901bfa2d1$68f03320$05160f2b at hse005.ssd.sony.co.jp>,
Masataka_Tanaka <mtanaka at ssd.sony.co.jp> wrote:
># Prompt reply is very very welcome q(^o^)p
>
>Hello, there.
>
>My current BIND working environment is under Solaris 2.6 and BIND 8.x .
>I would like to ask you all the question about DNS round robin.
>When we set several hosts as Round Robin, do they have fail-safe
>function or not?

That's up to the application software.  If it tries all the addresses
returned by the server, then it will fail over.  If it only tries the first
address, then it might not connect if the first address in the list is
down.

># Q2.    Is there any way to realize fail-safe(switch-over) via DNS
>configuration?

Use a DNS server that explicitly checks, such as a Cisco Distributed
Director or lbnamed.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA