host -l

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Apr 10 06:19:31 UTC 2000

"Michael Vincent K. Pozon - CompE" wrote:

> [vince at prophecy vince]$ host -l rutgers.edu
> Rutgers.EDU name server dns1.Rutgers.EDU
> Rutgers.EDU name server dns2.Rutgers.EDU
> Rutgers.EDU name server dns3.Rutgers.EDU
> Rutgers.EDU name server turtle.mcc.com
> Rutgers.EDU has address 165.230.4.76
> grad03.Rutgers.EDU has address 128.6.20.29
> dgcacook4.Rutgers.EDU has address 128.6.87.158

> notice the output of that command , it reveals all the host under the
> domain rutgers.edu ... my point is , i want to configure the DNS of
> rutgers.edu in such a way that if i issue the command , as stated above,
> there will be no output of revelaing the hosts ... but instead , an
> "Unapproved request" or something like that ..

There are four authoritative servers for rutgers.edu, and the first one I
tried allowed me to perform a zone transfer. I didn't try the other three.
If you don't want zone transfers to succeed, you need to disallow them in
your server configurations.

> i already configured named.conf with allow-transfer option but the thing
> still works :(

On all four servers? Maybe you mistyped something? What do your named.conf
files look like?

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.