how is a named resolved?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Apr 6 21:11:17 UTC 2000

In article <38ECD960.E57B14E3 at phybertek.com>,
Mark Whitsett  <mwhitset at phybertek.com> wrote:
>Also,
>
>How do you set a nameserver to iterative or recursion? And if you are
>really kind,
>can you explain the difference?

By default a server will perform recursion.  If you want to disable
recursion in a server, put:

options {
  recursion no;
};

in the named.conf file.

When a name server is performing recursion, it always uses iterative
queries.  When a name server is performing forwarding (i.e. it has the
"forwarders" option configured), it sends a recursive query.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.com
Genuity, Burlington, MA