Best DNS structure for a global company?

dacarab1 at my-deja.com dacarab1 at my-deja.com
Thu Apr 6 10:05:44 UTC 2000

Hi all - I was wondering if anyone out there
could give me any feedback on a
couple of DNS solutions that my company is
currently considering
implementing one of two DNS solutions:

Solution A:
Throughout our internal network use the internet
country top-level naming
convention, ie company.de, company.co.uk,
company.us etc etc. This solution
has no hierarchy, and would require each name
server to be a name server for
every other domain.(we're in around 40 countries)

Solution B:
Use an internal route domain of company.net, and
have three sub-domains for
each of our global regions - na.company.net for
North America,
eu.company.net for Europe, and ap.company.net for
Asia Pacific.

I'm looking for non windows 2000 based reasons
for using either solution -
personally, I feel Solution 2 rules, and Solution
1 is awful, but would
appreciate any feedback on using either method -
thanks in advance....

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.