ndc output interpretation

Roy Arends roy at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Apr 4 16:50:45 UTC 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Treptow, Craig wrote:

> Hi.  I've searched the archives, man pages, and the DNS&BIND book, but can't
> seem to find the meaning of this output from the command "ndc status" in
> 8.2.2-p5:
>
> server is STILL priming
>
> Any pointers to what this means, or where I should be looking are greatly
> appreciated.

The name server needs to know the servers that are the authoritative name
servers for the root domain of the network.  To do this, the server has to
prime the name server's cache with the addresses of these higher
authorities. I assume that the ndc status output refers to this. When it
is done priming, you should get a "server is DONE priming".

Regards,

Roy Arends
--
roy at nlnetlabs.nl                NLnetLabs
tel +31208884551                Kruislaan 419