Overriding a couple of entries

Ben Walker walker at mza.com
Tue Apr 4 02:59:20 UTC 2000

The only way to do this is to create a separate DNS zone file for
each machine name.  You would have a zone file for machine1.foo.com,
machine2.foo.com, etc.  In each zone file, you would just have one A
record for the machine name, i.e, in the zone file for machine1.foo.com:

;                     SOA record stuff

			NS local-dns-server.foo.com. ; this name server

machine1.foo.com.	A 	192.168.1.140

Anything else in foo.com would use the authoritative server for foo.com.