authoritive??!??

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Apr 4 07:47:33 UTC 2000

> I have a small problem....I am getting feedback from a site that is saying
> my nameserver is not authoritive for the domain.....here is the first few
> lines minus the timout figures....
>
> aulink.net.             IN      SOA     name.aulink.net. admin.aulink.net.
> aulink.net.             IN      NS      name.aulink.net.
>                                         A       203.42.220.209

	Well your servers appear to be authoritive, but you really should
	have *both* nameservers listed in the zone file.

	You can test if a server is authorative for a zone by running

		dig +norec zone @server

	Flags should contain "aa" (authorative answer) if not something is
	misconfigured.  Check your server's logs in this case.

e.g.

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> +norec aulink.net @name.aulink.net
; (1 server found)
;; res options: init defnam dnsrch
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	aulink.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
aulink.net.		1D IN A		203.42.220.209

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
aulink.net.		1D IN NS	name.aulink.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
name.aulink.net.	1D IN A		203.42.220.209

;; Total query time: 176 msec
;; FROM: bsdi.dv.isc.org to SERVER: name.aulink.net  203.42.220.209
;; WHEN: Tue Apr  4 17:44:23 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 28  rcvd: 79

>  Can anyone help me out? Should the bit after the SOA be changed to just
> aulink.net instead of name.aulink.net (the nameservers hostname)

	It should be the name of the machine which contains the master copy
	of the zone and from which the other servers ultimately transfer the
	zone.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com