Proxy question

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Apr 3 18:29:27 UTC 2000

In article <38E8C245.A1369601 at ssa.gov>,
David Spigelman  <david.spigelman at ssa.gov> wrote:
>When trying to resolve an address from a workstation behind a proxy
>server, where does name resolution typically take place? Does the
>workstation make the request? Or does the proxy server? If possible,
>could someone provide a reference? (I need to show this to someone in
>writing.) TIA!

If the proxy is explicitly configured in the web browser, the proxy does
name resolution.  This is necessary because in many environments with
proxies, the client machine doesn't have access to an Internet nameserver,
but the proxy does.

If it's a transparent proxy, the client sends its own DNS queries (since it
doesn't know that it's behind a proxy).  The transparent proxy might
implement proxying for the DNS lookup as well.  Whether this is what
happens depends on the specific network configuration.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com