newbie question with bind 4.9.5(NT)

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Sun Apr 2 09:25:30 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: "greg bates" <webmaster at gregbates.com>

> I have a second computer (win98) and I want the Nameserver to resolve the
> address to the NAME
> lets call it computer2.gregbates.com

> What kind of record (A,PTR,SOA) and which FILE (db.gregbates.com.db or
> db.zoneinfo)

> $ORIGIN com.
> gregbates   IN SOA  server3.gregbates.com.  sysop.gregbates.com. (
>  2000040513 ; serial number
>  10800  ; refresh 3 hours
>  3600  ; Retry 1 hour
>  604800  ; Expire after 1 day
>  86400  ; TTL 1 day
>  )

> gregbates  IN NS  server3.gregbates.com.
>   IN NS  server2.gregbates.com.

> gregbates  IN A  4.3.81.132
>
>   IN MX  10 mail.gregbates.com.
>              IN MX  20 listserve.gregbates.com.
>   IN MX  30 gregbates.com.
> ;
> $ORIGIN gregbates.com.
> www  IN CNAME gregbates.com.
> ftp  IN CNAME gregbates.com.
> mail  IN CNAME gregbates.com.

First of all, if the above is the zone file for gregbates.com, you need A
records for listserve and for server[23]. You might also want to make the
priority 10 MX record point directly to gregbates.com instead of going
through the mail alias. - In order to add computer2 to the domain, add an
A record for it as well.

As for reverse lookups, how you would make them work depends on the kind
of network you have. If you have at least a /24, your ISP or your IP
registry should delegate that network to you, and you would set up a
reverse zone in the classic fashion. If, OTOH, you have a /25 or less,
you'd need to work with your ISP to set up the kludge described in RFC
2317 - or you could let your ISP handle reverse DNS for you completely.

You can name the zone files almost at your discretion as long as your
named.boot correctly points to them.

Btw., IIRC BIND 4.9.5 has security vulnerabilities, so you might want to
upgrade to a more current version.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.