Hints file when forwarding unnecessary in BIND 8.2.x?

Tarun Bhushan bhushant at stgeorge.com.au
Thu Sep 30 00:36:35 UTC 1999

>> Much to my surprise and delight, my BIND 8.2.1 name server configured with
>> global forwarding does not seem to require a hints file.  No log message
>> about the lack of root name servers is emitted at startup and the server
>> appears to resolve anything just fine.  This is a recent change.  Is it
>> this one?

We have recently put in a new BIND 8.2.1 name server (on Solaris 2.6). This name server has no direct access to the Internet, has a standard hints file and has options { forward only; }; configured with a list of forwarders. The latter is the same IP address repeated thrice - the IP address is that of a firewall whose DNS daemon has access to the Internet.

Name resolution works correctly. However, the log produced by the internal name server has the following message repeated over and over - "check_root: 1 root servers after query to root server < min" - (presumambly because MINROOTS defined in ns_defs.h is set to 2). Is this behaviour correct with our configuration? The snippet from a previous message in this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

Regards

Tarun

Tarun Bhushan
Manager, Internet and Distributed Systems
St.George Bank Limited
Sydney, Australia.
Ph: +61-2-92361716
Fax: +61-2-92361177
Email: bhushant at stgeorge.com.au

   *****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom
it is addressed and its content is not intended for use by
any other persons. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and
delete the message from your computer. Any unauthorised form
of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited.

St.George is not liable for the proper and complete transmission
of the information contained in this communication, nor for any
delay in its receipt.