Granitecanyon DNS setup problem-second set of eyes.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 29 22:19:54 UTC 1999

In article <19990929164916.09944.00000152 at ng-fg1.aol.com>,
MISGUY1 <misguy1 at aol.com> wrote:
>I had a previous entry like the one below, but I have removed an MX Global
>entry and I had not made a WWW CNAME entry.  My previous entry did not seem to
>work with my e-mail system.  (All of my outgoing e-mail went to qeue with MX
>record errors).  Hopefully this will solve the problem.
>
>Looking for a second set of eyes on this, Thanks
>
>smeds.org.  IN      NS      ns1.granitecanyon.com.
>smeds.org.  IN      NS      ns2.granitecanyon.com.
>localhost.smeds.org.   IN  A  127.0.0.1
>;RP removed intentionally from this e-mail
>smeds.org.	IN      A	24.94.116.20
>www.smeds.org.		IN	CNAME	smeds.org.
>stmarysserver.smeds.org.  IN  CNAME  smeds.org.
>whatever	IN	CNAME	smeds.org.
>whatever2	IN	CNAME	smeds.org.
>smeds.org.  IN      MX 10   stmarysserver.smeds.org.

MX records are not supposed to point to CNAME records, they should point to
A records.  So you should either change the last line to:

smeds.org.  IN MX 10 smeds.org.

or you should change the earlier line to:

stmarysserver.smeds.org.  IN A  24.94.116.20

If sendmail on that machine is complaining of a possible MX record problem,
it could be because you didn't put:

Cw smeds.org

in its sendmail.cf.  That error message means that DNS says that mail for
smeds.org should be delivered to that machine, but nothing in its sendmail
configuration tells it what to do with it.  The "Cw" line tells it that
mail for smeds.org should be delivered locally (by default, the only mail
that's delivered locally is mail addressed to its hostname, which I suspect
is stmarysserver.smeds.org).

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com