Bind 4 to 8 upgrade problem.

Eric Ladner eladner at longbeach.goldinc.com
Wed Sep 29 19:40:10 UTC 1999

When updating my bind version from 4 to 8 I ran into a sticky problem.

Basically, I'm using the exact same db.* files as before, I just have a
named.conf file that is an 8ifyed version of my version 4 script.

The problem is this:

On a seperate client machine, I have a resolv.conf file like this:

-----
search sub.domain.com domain.com
nameserver 192.168.12.180
----

There is a host called portal say that is in the master domain (i.e.
portal.domain.com) and I can do a 'nslookup portal' and everything works
great.

After I switch to version 8 (only changed conf file) 'nslookup portal' no
longer works.  Upstream dns servers in db.cache have not changed.  I
switched back to version 4 (still same db.* files) and it works again.

A debug nslookup looks like this using version 8 on the server:

$ nslookup portal
Default Name Server:  bservr.sub.domain.com
Address:  192.168.12.180

> set debug
> portal
Name Server:  bservr.sub.domain.com
Address:  192.168.12.180

Trying DNS
;; res_mkquery(0, portal.sub.domain.com, 1, 1)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 9860, rcode = SERVFAIL
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1, answers = 0 , authority records = 0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        portal.sub.domain.com, type = A, class = IN

*** bservr.sub.domain.com can't find portal: Server failed

Thanks in advance,

Eric Ladner