Question of forwarders vs. caching-only

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Sep 29 17:41:49 UTC 1999

In article <37F191F1.36899930 at adelaide.edu.au>,
Glen Turner  <glen.turner at adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

>3) Your average machine might not be able to query the
>   root DNS servers directly.  See:
>
>ftp://ftp.auscert.org.au/pub/auscert/advisory/AL-1999.004.dns_dos

Are you suggesting that the root server operators might disable queries to
prevent them from being used as amplifiers in this DOS attack?  If not,
what is the relevance of this AUSCERT Alert to this question?

I interpreted the original poster's question to be only relevant to the
situation where you have a choice of going through a forwarder or directly
to the root server.  If you're firewalled and can't access the root
servers, the question of whether to use forwarders or not doesn't arise.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com