Can the same domain name be made to refer to a local server on each site?

Jan Buelens jan_buelens at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 21:40:41 UTC 1999

Cricket: thanks for enlightening me (and helping me rtfm...).  Can you also
sanity check following alternative ideas:

1. Have DHCP assign domain, refer to local server by using unqualified alias
defined on local nameserver and pointing to relevant local server.

2. Set up a domain called  localservices.mycompany.com in each local name
server.  Each local name server would be authoritative for that domain and
include a CNAME record named swdist pointing to the relevant local server.
Provided that I don't have any records in mycompany.com pointing to
localservices.mycompany.com, would the multiply defined domain get me into
trouble?