Have to allow AXFR from oldns3.granitecanyon.com? Was-Re: soa.granitecanyon.com down?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Sep 28 17:19:02 UTC 1999

Paul Gardiner mused:

> If most of the people who use granitecanyon were to pay $10 a year, there
> wouldn't be a problem, and I'm sure a lot of people would be willing.
> Trouble is, just sending them $10 in the hope that everybody else will
> spontaneously have the same thought seems like a waste of time.  Any ideas?

I have nothing to do with GC.  However, from their FAQ of 09/17/99
03:24:00 AM, #29 [slightly re-formatted]:	[) more below (]
29.Do you accept donations? Can we help?

       Yes. So far we have appreciated the donation of some fine
       Belgian beer, some much-needed computing equipment upgrades, the
       translations of our pages into other languages and your
       financial support. Thank you very much for your continued
       support and generosity.

       Please send donations to the WHOIS address of record.

       With about 25820 zones served we are becoming a crossroads for
       system, web and network administrators worldwide. If you would
       be interested in sponsoring our site, please let us know.

       At the moment, we also have need for:
              1-4 168 pin DIMMS, preferably adding up to 256 Mb or
	      greater
              2 or 3 identical IDE disks, of 2.1 Gb capacity or greater
              mirroring IDE controller card that does not require an OS
	      driver
              rack-mountable K/V/M switch
              Jaz disks and drives
              (SCSI?) tape drive able to handle >3 gigabytes per backup
	      (DDS-2 or better)
              translation of our web pages into other languages in or
	      from which we get requests, especially Russian,
	      non-American English, Francais, Deutsch, Italiano,
	      Finish, Espanol, Dansk, Hebrew, Svenska, Japanese,
	      Chinese, Nederlands, Hindi, Hangul, Magyar, Icelandic,
	      Arabic, Polski, Indonesian, Portugues, Filipino, Turkce
	      or your language. (This is a roughly sorted order of the
	      languages native to the domains from which we have
              received requests or questions over the past few months.)
	      The most important page to be translated is the FAQ.

       Members of our group are also personally interested in talking
       to network and system administrators about issues of reliability,
       availability, MTBF and MTTR of servers. If you would be able to
       provide data on your server's uptime to us, please let us know
       at the following address: uptime-survey at granitecanyon.com. This
       information will be kept in strict confidence.