Bind 8 & DHCP, possible?

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Mon Sep 27 17:41:44 UTC 1999

Mad Matt <md7141 at fen.bris.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:<Pine.SOL.3.95.990925190232.23090A-100000 at harrier>...
> I have running on a closed nework, DHCP and also Bind 8. I can't use
> Bind successfully yet due to some of the addresses being changed via the
> DHCP.
>
> What is the best method of keeping the Bind files up-to-date? Or is what
> I'm asking a tad impossible/impractical?

Some DHCP servers, like the ISC's DHCP server version 3.0, can send
dynamic updates to name servers to indicate the issuance of a lease.  You
could run one of those and a version of BIND (like 8.1.2) that understands
dynamic updates.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
www.acmebw.com/training.htm for the
schedule and to register for upcoming
classes.