Yes! :) Re: Any good DNS maintenance tools

Måns Nilsson mansaxel at bartlet.df.lth.se
Sun Sep 26 20:09:27 UTC 1999

In article <slrn7ul3u8.itg.XG*ENY at tardis-a3.ee.ethz.ch>, Olivier M. wrote:
><kemeid at manpower.no> ecrivait/schrieb/wrote:
>>Can anyone suggest a (graphical) tool for BIND8 maintenance.
>>I am running RedHat Linux 6.0, latest BIND, and I'm new to DNS.
>>Since there are endless possibilities to mess up, I would like a few
>>suggestions on tools that can make my DNS config easier (and correct)
>
>>X-windows, character based, Apache/Browser based, I can try anything, as
>>long as it is usable and produces error-free DNS files.
>
>What do you want to do exactely ? Is it just for your personal
>server, or for webhosting ? I'm currently programming a
>tool using mysql & php : maybe you will have some comments :
>http://www.omnis.ch/dev/odns/odns.php3

I took a quick look. Some comments:

* No checking for illegal characters. I was able to input both 'å' and
  the perennial plague '_' in host names. This should be easy to fix.

* The dot problem is not handled. If one enters a FQDN and wants to
  indicate this by putting a dot on the end of the name another dot
  is appended. Bad. How am I supposed to have a NS pointer to a server
  outside the zone if I am unable to enter a FQDN unaltered? Or rather,
  how can i have a hostname with dots in inside the zone? Must I then
  type a FQDN without a dot? (I suspect so, and the output seems to
  indicate that this is the case) Are you simply checking whether
  there are dots in a name and then assume it is a FQDN?

What I got out:

$ORIGIN omega.ch.
$TTL 43200

; entry generated by odns.pl on Sun Sep 26 20:45:33 1999 - omega.ch

@       IN      SOA     foo_bar.foo.ch..        dns.omnis.ch. (
                        1999092609       ; Serial
                        10800            ; Refresh
                        3600             ; Retry
                        604800           ; Expire
                        43200   )        ; Minimum TTL

;
; Name Servers
;
omega.ch.       IN      NS      foo_bar.foo.ch..
omega.ch.       IN      NS      snipan.gångavstånd.no.
omega.ch.       IN      NS      server.in.zone.with.dots.
;

; Mail Servers (MX)
;
        IN      MX      10      mail
        IN      MX      20      mail2

;
; A/CNAME entries
;
mail            IN      A       195.134.143.40
mail            IN      A       1.2.3.4
ftp             IN      A       1.2.3.4
mail            IN      A       1.2.3.4
server.in.zone.with.dots.               IN      A       1.2.3.5
www             IN      A       212.28.128.213

As we can see here this zone file would not be usable for its purpose.

And the HTML as it is when I choose 'edit' on the zone is found on
http://www.df.lth.se/~mansaxel/odns.html ( I grabbed a copy, as a snapshot.)

Other than that, it looks nice, except for the fact that I personally do not
prefer <FONT> tags in HTML. Messes with browsers on non-MS OSes.

--
Måns Nilsson 					MN1334-RIPE
www.df.lth.se/~mansaxel for details		GSM 070 8344045

The SAME WAVE keeps coming in and COLLAPSING like a rayon MUU-MUU ...