static cache entries? nscd?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 27 14:30:21 UTC 1999

In article <006201bf085b$0f315280$6936fea9 at robert.sch>,
Robert Schelander <rschelander at aon.at> wrote:
>Does anyone know how to tell a namecache for how long to
>keep it's entries?

There's a MAX_CACHE_TTL compile-time constant that can be used to set a
maximum.

>		    Is it possible to set any entries static?

You could configure your server as a master server for the zone containing
just the entry you want a static entry for.

>Is the domain-master the only one who decides how long
>an answer is valid?

Yes.

>Does anyone know what the nscd (name-service-cache-daemon)
>is really good for?
>I don't really see a reason for nscd if named is installed.

Most machines don't run named, they're just clients.  Also, nscd can cache
results from many different lookup methods: DNS, NIS, NIS+, /etc/hosts.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com