many third level domains bind & apache (slightly off topic)

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Sep 27 14:22:14 UTC 1999

In article <018801bf06e8$47b64490$33f9c9d0 at neteze.com>,
Kelsey Cummings <kc at neteze.com> wrote:
>I've got a customer who wants to sell third level domains with small virtual
>webs and one email account.  I've agreed to do it, but I'm trying to figure
>out the best way to provide him this service.
>
>Its unfortunate that bind doesn't support wildcards in A records (it doesn't
>right?) otherwise DNS configuration would be very simple.  As far as I can
>tell apache doesn't have an way of doing regex matching in the configs (at
>least as would be needed for this setup)  ie:

BIND supports wildcards in all types of records, as required by the DNS
specification (even CNAME records, which I don't think the spec requires).

>*.hisdomain.com    IN    A        www.hisdomain.com

That wouldn't be a valid A record even without the wildcard.  The data part
of an A record has to be an address.  Did you mean:

*.hisdomain.com.  IN CNAME  www.hisdomain.com.

Like I said above, I think BIND supports this, although the DNS
specification doesn't seem to require it.

I'm skipping the parts of your message about Apache configuration, since I
know nothing about that.  You should ask that in the
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix newsgroup.  And I expect that the people
over there with experience setting up lots of virtual servers would have
good advice on the best ways to do DNS for them.

P.S. Why is this message threaded with the "bind 8.2.1" messages?  Doesn't
your newsreader have a command to start a new thread?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com