DNS configuration problem

Robert Schelander rschelander at aon.at
Thu Sep 23 23:46:36 UTC 1999

>"No problem."  Get ampr.org to allow you to be a slave [secondary] for
>the whole domain.  That way, when you're in touch, you can download the
>whole domain.  And when you're not ... you're not.  You're still an
>authoritative name server, whether master or slave.
That could be the solution, but I will need to have direct access to the
primary of ampr.org. I'm not sure whether one of the nodes will route
my requests outside to the internet. The few DNSs for packet radio
normally are connected to the internet on one side of a heavily closed
firewall.
I don't think one of them will allow routing my requests outside, because
that's really a security problem. Transparent routing from and into the
internet is not allowed. Encapsulated tunneling solutions are tolerated
if both ends are amateur-radio stations.
And in case it works: fetching the whole domain names would block this
slow route for hours I fear :(  That are the addresses of all tcpip ham
stations
all over the world! It would be enough to get those of two or three
countries in
my case. I'll need 99% of the bandwidth although in 99% of the queries
only the approximately 10 addresses of this federal province are needed :)
Don't mentioned the memory named will need!

I fear I'll find another easier solution. But thanks anyway for your efforts
to help me.
Any idea, and may it be completely unusual, is still welcome.

Maybe I'll have to convince my university that we need a packet radio server
to have a good working DNS for the hams here. Or move in our capital city to
take one of those tv-cable internet accounts where you don't have to pay for
every minute online and even get a static IP. But I've heard that those
providers
often have some tricky firewalls that their customers are not able to use
their
account for server purposes. They need to do so, because the uplink channel
on those broadcastnetworks are very limited in bandwidth while downlink
allows multi-gigabyte-downloads.

Thanks
Robert