DNS configuration problem

Robert Schelander rschelander at aon.at
Thu Sep 23 22:23:31 UTC 1999

Thanks for your answer.

>How about calling them up and setting yourselves up as a sub-domain of
>ampr.org?  You could then be in charge of that.  You could also ask
>their servers to slave the domain off your [hidden] master.

Good idea, but it would be easy if that could solve the problem.
All really important names that are needed here and included in
my ampr.org file are already resolvable by the ampr.org master
and the ip's are of course registered too. (even if they are not
allowed to be routed into and from the internet)
When I forget the addition of new names for testing purposes, there is still
a problem that exists:
I've forgotten to tell another aspect of the amateur radio connection.
It is not very stable. Packets are transported over lots of digipeaters
(They have repeater and/or router function for AX25 frames - my ip
frames are encapsulated within these AX25 packets) located on high moutains.
Quality is even dependend on the current weather conditions. It's difficult
too, because radio waves are reflected by the moutains and cause
interferences and fading.
That means that the forward-dns I want to use could be not be accessible for
some
time. For this time it has to be the master. I'm not sure if caching alone
will work in this case for longer periods.

What I need is a configuration which can resolve the local names
of ampr.org without any forward and do forward only when necessary.
The only idea I have at the moment is to use caching and two named.conf
files.
One with a ampr.org master zone and one without this zone. And then
in case of a path lost restart named with the other configuration.
But I'll have to write a tool that checks the connection quality... :(

What do you think about this?

Robert

PS: The overroding of a master is out of discussion within the real
internet, I totally agree to this. But in amateur radio this is another
world. Everyone has a licence here and is resposible that everthing
goes right - uses the right frequencys ect.
People using my strange hybrid DNS know that the
resolves are not authoritive answers. We even don't have any passwords
for reading emails and everyone can read the transfers if he's listening
on the used frequency. Everyone is responsible for correct
self-identification.
This discipline and thrust is absolutely necessary - if it wouldn't no one
would be able to watch TV, hear radio use his cellular anymore...